Monday, April 17, 2017

Verpa Bohemica Anatomy



Day 186: Quoting one field guide regarding false morels, "This is a really variable group, with toxic and edible species resembling each other confusingly. The chance for error is great. In addition, many people are adversely affected by some of the edible species...the toxins are not completely known, but the effect of one of them, monamethylhydrazine (MMH) in the bloodstream, is severe gastrointestinal disturbance and, in some cases, death." It goes on to explain that Verpa bohemica (above) "is eaten by many but it does make some people ill."

At 50 MPH, it's impossible to make a firm identification of a mushroom, so when I travelled the road again a week later and saw that the specimens had multiplied, I found a spot to turn around and went back to check them out. To my great disappointment, I saw that they were not the Morels I'd been hoping to have for dinner, but were Verpa bohemica instead. Nope, not gonna take a chance. I've been sick on one purportedly "edible and choice" mushroom (the Hericium commonly called "bear's-head) which comes with a similar caution. It was not an experience I care to repeat. If there is one rule to govern the gathering and eating of mushrooms, it is this: Better safe than sorry!

That said, I do love my Morels when I can find them, but in this case, I was out of luck. Since these two families of mushroom resemble each other superficially, I picked one so I could show my readers how to identify the suspect Verpas. Field guides will tell you that the cap of a Morel is "pitted" and that of Verpa is "wrinkled," but as you can tell from looking at this photo, that distinction is not one which can be readily made by most people. A much more reliable indicator is the attachment of the cap. In the cross-section, note how the cap of Verpa is attached only at the top of the stipe, like a lampshade. Almost without exception, the true Morel's cap will be attached to the stalk rather than opening out into a skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment