Friday, May 19, 2017

Colour Replacement


Day 218: I do not have it in me to kill a plant which has graced my garden with colour even when that colour has been PINK. My readers can't have forgotten my avowed abhorrence of pink, nor the occasional rare exception which almost always has had a connection to the garden. You will not find a scrap of pink in my personal attire, but the occasional plant slips in under the radar (most likely if it attracts hummingbirds or pollinators). That said, the columbines which came with the house were all shades of pink but for one lovely yellow, and the hummers do love their sweet nectar. For years now, I have been scientifically relocating the pinks to other areas of the yard where I'll see them less often, putting blues and purples in their place. The issue is that in some cases, the plants have grown so closely together that I can't tell which root goes with what flower so that despite marking the stems of individuals destined for moving, sometimes bits of pink are left behind. And sometimes, age being what it is, I forget whether the stake with the ribbon indicates a plant I want to move or a plant I want to keep. As the buds are beginning to swell, I see my plans went somewhat awry this spring. I've put the last pink right smack in the center of the bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment