Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Ginkgo Biloba


Day 223: Late last fall, a rather sickly Ginkgo followed me home. I had serious concerns about its chances for survival, so rather than putting it directly in the ground, I stuck it in a one-gallon nursery pot to confine its roots and buried the pot. It's a system which has almost always given me good results. The tree was about three feet tall with only a couple of branches. I watched them very closely for any sign of new growth this spring. Sure enough, little green buds began appearing about six weeks ago. I was honestly surprised that it had survived the winter. I transferred it to its permanent location about two weeks later, and I'm happy to say that it is leafing out beautifully. In fall, the leaves turn golden-yellow, definitely a showpiece in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment