Friday, May 12, 2017

Little Blue Snot Returns



Day 211: Again, I must apologize to my readers for the quality of the photo. Little Blue Snot is a very elusive character, shy and quick as a streak of lightning, and flits into the cover of the contorted filbert as soon as he detects the slightest movement. I had to take the picture through window glass and at a higher ISO than I prefer. All that aside, this is still probably the best capture I've ever made of my elusive friend.

For the last several years, one or two Lazuli Buntings have been drawn to my feeders, but usually don't remain here more than six weeks. Sibley's maps show that they are rare in western Washington but summer east of the mountains. They winter in Mexico. Mine must get confused somewhere near Mount Adams and therefore come up the wrong side of the Cascades. Many people confuse them with Western Bluebirds although the colour of the head is closer to aqua than true blue. In any event, the wing bars are the clincher for an ID even if the shorter, broader bill is not observed.

No comments:

Post a Comment