Sunday, June 18, 2017

Sphinx Moth Pupa



Day 248: I have to thank my partners in Team Biota for putting me on the right track to identify this pupa, dug up from the ground when I was attempting to secure an earthworm for a photographic project. My knowledge in the field of entomology is very limited. Joe is a "bug guy," so I referred the critter to him. He suggested that it was probably a Sphinx Moth pupa. I did some further checking to confirm it, and although I can't say with certainty that it is the pupa of Hyles lineata, the White-Lined Sphinx is the only Sphinx I have seen in this area (the adult is huge and beautiful). It surprised me to learn that the larvae of these moths burrow into soil and remain there for at least 2-3 weeks before emerging as adults. Many overwinter, as I am sure was the case here.

This further suggests that my "pollinator plantings" are working! The caterpillar hosts for this moth include grape, tomato and fuchsia, all of which I have in my garden. The adults nectar on columbine, larkspur, petunias, honeysuckle and lilac, again all species which I cultivate in varying degrees. Here is the proof that if you give them habitat, they will come!

No comments:

Post a Comment