Sunday, July 9, 2017

Juvenile Pond Slider



Day 269: Last year during a kayaking trip on Lake St. Clair (the Sundew lake), I spotted three adult turtles basking just off-shore of one of the lake's small islands. I got clear pictures of them and from the markings and physiology, was able to identify both male and female adult specimens of Pond Slider (Trachemys scripta). As I researched species information on these non-native turtles on Washington Dept. of Fish and Wildlife's webpage, I noticed the following statement: "...virtually all sightings of Pond Sliders involve adults. Additional work to understand the reproductive capability and population dynamics in Washington would aid decisions about management...All observations are of interest and can be submitted to Lori Salzer...Of special interest are any observations of nesting females or hatchlings." I dutifully contacted Lori and sent her the photos. She responded, and asked me to continue to monitor the location for any evidence of slider offspring.

Two weeks ago, I returned to Lake St. Clair for the purpose of visiting the Sundews. My route goes past the island (a dot of land roughly 350' on its longest dimension), so I swung in close to look for turtles. I spotted two, but these were only about a fifth the size of the adults I'd observed previously. Sure enough, the Sliders are breeding. The good news is that for now, the population seems to be confined to the one island, although there is a second island quite close by. Between rarities and invasives, I have my work cut out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment