Monday, August 28, 2017

Helluva Hive


Day 319: Let me state for the record that there is a 50' stretch on the eastern shore of Lake St. Clair which I did NOT check for invasive weeds, sundews or lichens. I think I heard this before I saw it; in any event, something made me look up to where it was hanging, almost concealed by cedar boughs 15' above the surface of the water. Only then did I notice the flurry of activity around and on it, dozens/hundreds of paper wasps engaged in their daily chores. By far the largest nest I have ever seen, it would have filled a two-gallon bucket easily, probably 14-16" in diameter and 20" tall. It was a magnificent piece of architecture to be sure, but like the works of Frank Lloyd Wright, best appreciated from the long view.

No comments:

Post a Comment