Monday, August 21, 2017

Junior Ranger Eclipse Explorer!


Day 312: Several factors led up to a situation in which Mount Rainier National Park only received a handful (literally five or six) Junior Ranger Eclipse Explorer badges and books. I think it was the "sad puppy-dog" face I wore for Marc Blackburn, but whatever the reason, I shall be eternally grateful that he let me have one of them. I hope my eclipse photo sequence fills the requirements for earning it.

I watched the eclipse almost from beginning to end through my 4.5" Orion Star-Blast telescope, employing a solar filter designed expressly for viewing sunspots. I noticed a little grouping of them near the limb of the sun as the Moon's shadow darkened the solar disk, although I did not see any prominences. The temperature dropped substantially and the crows kept cawing throughout the event, but the cats were unfazed, and my two neighbours never even came outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment