Saturday, August 12, 2017

Nasty Bits


Day 303: Despite the fact that I grow flowers, I very seldom pick a bouquet. After all, they last much longer on the plant, and I can see them by simply looking out the window. There are exceptions to that rule, of course: the spring spate of Siberian irises along the back fence produces so prodigiously that a missing dozen is not even noticeable, daffodils likewise, or the occasional wind-fractured stem of delphinium. That said, I have always loved nasturtiums, and this year's crop has utterly blanketed one end of the flowerbed to a much greater degree than ever before. Their trailing stems spill out over the sidewalk, threatening to grab my ankles as I pass by to go to the mailbox, and occasionally have to be re-trained to go that way rather than this. It's a friendly dispute, their persistent enthusiasm brightening my every visit to the garden. View of many of the blossoms is blocked by other plants, overhung with hellebore or spicebush or shielded by delphinium foliage, so I thought I'd bring a few nasty bits indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment