Thursday, August 3, 2017

Nobody Home


Day 294: The photo on the left was taken on 26 December 2016. That was when I first noticed the chrysalis attached to the vinyl siding on the west wall of my house. I tentatively identified its occupant as Pieris marginalis (Margined White), a species now considered distinct from Pieris napi and one which accounts for a large portion my yard's butterfly census. It was an odd spot to find such a treasure and I figured the creature's chances of survival would be diminished by the exposure, but was pleasantly surprised when it wintered over without damage. I started keeping a closer eye on it in late May or early June, checking every week or so to see if I could detect any signs of development. It was a discouraging vigil, the chrysalis gradually turning darker as it aged, as if its winged fruit was withering inside. I kept up the watch nevertheless, but recently missed two days in a row until the lapse was brought to my attention by the flight of a Pieris past the window. I went immediately to check the chrysalis and discovered that its resident had flown. Could it have been the butterfly I observed flitting above the flower bed? So far, that White has been the only one I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment