Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Patience Corner, Pieced In Post


Day 321: Before I could start on my next quilt, I needed to make a test block of "Patience Corner" in order to see how it should be assembled and to check whether the dimensions would satisfy my eye. My first attempt used up most of my own print scraps and yielded a 12" block which seemed rather too big and clunky, so I solicited additional fabrics from a friend to make a downsized version. The 10" block was satisfactory (the squares are 2.5" on a side, the rectangles 5" x 2.5"). For my readers' benefit, I replicated the finished block in post, rotated it accordingly and pasted it to create this four-block mini-quilt (the blue border is not part of the plan). The actual quilt will be made with four themed colours: green, purple, blue and aqua (?). Each colour scheme will have two variations, i.e., the print fabric used for rectangles in V1 will be used for squares in V2 and vice versa. The solids will be the same in both V1 and V2 for each colour, and will abut in the center (shown as four red blocks in the photo). I'll piece the blocks on the machine, but again, I plan to hand-quilt it. Hopefully, it won't take me twenty years to get this one done!

No comments:

Post a Comment