Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Adopt A Rock


Day 5: I've adopted a rock...which is to say that I was hiking in an area where taking something home with you was not prohibited (i.e., allowable from an old logging road) and came across a more or less loose 7 x 10" rock covered with my favourite lichen, Pilophorus acicularis, and...well...I mean, how could I resist? Pilophorus is native to the immediate area...no sins committed against the environment by introducing a non-native species. I can give it exactly the conditions it likes best, and I can even be sure that it doesn't get too dry in the summertime. Okay, I had to carry it about half a mile to get it back to the car, a process which inspired me to think about leaving it behind several times, but it was Pilophorus! It just seemed to have "Take me home!" written all over it. I bedded it comfortably at the base of the dogwood where I can admire it daily even if I don't go outside. Much better than a chia pet, I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment