Monday, November 20, 2017

Identifying Usnea


Day 38: One of my favourite tools for introducing beginners to lichen identification is provided by the family of Usneas: a stretchy "rubber band" or "spinal cord" which reveals itself when a section of the lichen is stretched gently to open the cortex. Even the tiniest branches possess this elastic core (note upper arrow in the microscope view), but of course they're thicker in the main branches.

A couple of years ago, I had occasion to take a troop of Scouts on a lichen walk in Longmire Campground where Alectoria (a different family) is present in abundance. I explained how to differentiate it from the Usneas and unbeknownst to me at the time, one of the boys took it as a challenge. As we progressed around the campground, he kept picking up bits and stretching them. After what must have been a few hundred tests, he came rushing up to me in excitement. "Crow! Crow! I found an Usnea!" Sure enough, as he carefully stretched the section, the "spinal cord" was revealed. His diligent pursuit of the elusive lichen had paid off, and I knew in that moment that I'd inspired the spirit of scientific curiosity in that young man. When I'm down and feel that nothing I do matters, I try to remember those occasions when my labours paid off. Damn, but I was proud of that kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment