Monday, November 13, 2017

Road Closures



Day 31: When a friend posted the bottom photo, it gave me quite a start. "What is Nancy doing in Pack Forest? OMG, does she realize how close she is?" Then my mind registered a few subtle differences in her view from that of my memory, notably the bark on the log across the road. Her scene was too summery as well. Reading her text, I discovered how badly I'd been fooled. Y'see, Nancy's photo was shot in Blackbutt Forest Reserve, New South Wales, Australia. My photo, taken this morning, is on the 1000 Rd. in Charles L. Pack Experimental Forest, Washington, USA.

Actually, I made the four-mile round trip hike in yesterday's rain, only to find when I got home that Nancy's photo (which she graciously gave me permission to share) had been shot in wide-screen and I'd taken several in portrait. Cross with myself for not checking beforehand, I decided to make a second trip today despite harsher weather. The rain held off until I reached the landing, sprinkled through the photo session, and began pouring just as I was putting the camera away. Rain and wind accompanied me all the way back to the car, but I think getting wet was a small price to pay for this antipodal comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment