Monday, December 11, 2017

12 Dents Per Inch


Day 59: So long ago now that I can't recall when it was, an internet acquaintance who was giving up weaving sent me a boxful of spooled thread remnants. I put them away, thinking that some day I'd incorporate them into a project, but I always seemed to favour buying new threads instead. Then my best weaving supply store closed its doors suddenly and I found myself without a source. Although I have some large cones still in my stash, I took this as a message from the weaving gods: "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." Yesterday, I decided to warp a new project at 12 dents per inch. I usually like to weave at least three items from any one warping, but in this case, I was simply hoping there would be enough thread for two scarves. Halfway into measuring the warp, I realized I was going to fall short. I pulled the thread off the warping board and started over. In doing so, I created a major mess despite my best efforts to prevent it. This silky rayon thread was unpredictably self-attracted, leaving me to waste the better part of two hours undoing tangles. Getting it on the loom offered a few issues as well, but those bridges have been crossed and I am now ready to tie it to the front apron, one step away from making the first throw on somebody's 2018 Christmas gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment