Thursday, December 21, 2017

Glad Solstice


Day 69: A glad Solstice to you all, dear readers! I very nearly didn't have holly for this festive occasion. My customary bush had been picked bare by earlier visitors, and my second choice only had one twig with berries, the leaves badly bug-eaten. Defeated at both locations, I began searching. You wouldn't think it would be that hard. After all, holly is considered an invasive here, and I often find bushes growing miles from trailheads, planted there by birds. However, the rain was coming down in buckets and I was reluctant to walk even the half mile to a third known option. Fortunately, I found a small bush along a quiet roadside where I pulled off, got out and jumped the ditch, clippers in hand. Five minutes later, I was back in the dry car with my Solstice Holly in hand.

The mistletoe is another story. I haven't seen it in stores for years, although a friend reports that some nurseries carry it (berries removed), so more than thirty years ago, I "grew" my own from Fimo sculpting clay. Like its natural counterpart, it's shed a few berries over time, but at least I don't have to worry about my kitties being poisoned if they were to eat them.

The Light returns to the Pacific Northwest with a dash of snow and crisp temperatures. Winter is only just begun, but the seeds of Spring are germinating under the lengthening days. On this day of renewal, I wish you all the best for the coming seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment