Saturday, December 16, 2017

The Joppa Flats Chorale



Day 64: The Joppa Flats Chorale is all kitted out in their new hats, ready to sing "Whence Comes This Rush of Wings Afar" and "Noel of Small Birds" (the latter written by me). The Bird Gang normally gets to come out of storage for an annual portrait, so it seemed fitting to invite the larger members to model the dozen hats I've created to be sold in the Joppa Flats Education Center's gift shop. This program is supported by volunteer knitters, and all proceeds go to benefit Joppa's bird-banding station. It was a way I could contribute to them without stressing my personal budget; "sweat-equity," if you will, if only the finger muscles get exercised. Joppa's team does good work. I had the privilege of visiting the center when I was visiting a friend in New Hampshire several years ago and was immediately impressed by their work with young people. I suspect quite a few future scientists will have found their beginnings at Joppa, and that, dear readers, is something to sing...or Crow about!

No comments:

Post a Comment