Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Bluefinger


Day 95: When I knit for hours every day as I've been doing in recent weeks, the ball of my right index finger becomes very tender and the skin wears thin and often cracks into painful splits. I've tried various protectors over the years, everything from rubber "librarian's fingers" to ordinary band-aids and adhesive tapes. Nothing has been 100% successful until it finally occurred to me to use one finger of a nitrile surgical glove. The nitrile allows me to retain the sensitivity I need to feel the stitches and is still tough enough to withstand repeated contact with the needle point. I can cut three from each glove: little finger, ring finger and index finger. Each stretches to fit my index finger without being too loose. Of course the remaining glove with the thumb and one relevant finger still attached is worthless...although I've considered sticking it in an envelope and mailing it to the White House.

No comments:

Post a Comment