Thursday, January 4, 2018

This May Take A While


Day 83: This may take a while. The new project is on the loom: three six-foot table runners worked on a rose path threading. The repeat is 22 throws, just slighly over an inch. I warped at 15 dents per inch (i.e., the number of warp threads per inch) and the weft (crosswise threads) is packing at 21 throws per inch. The thread is a 6/2 cotton, natural in colour for the warp and a dark blue-green weft. Amazingly, I completed slightly over a foot of cloth before bedtime last night.

This is the type of weaving project I most enjoy. It takes quite a bit of concentration, as opposed to the brainless "tabby two-step." In fact, my attention faltered for a moment during one session last night and just as I began what should have been a new sequence, I noticed that my last diamonds only had a single eye rather than the two they should have possessed. I picked the work back about eight throws until I came to a position I could identify easily and then resumed at the point where I had gone astray. Mistakes are usually obvious, but you have to be paying attention to catch them.

1 comment: