Thursday, January 18, 2018

Waiting For Dead Salmon



Day 97: On my way out of Eatonville yesterday, I noticed four Bald Eagles perched in the customary trees alongside the Mashell River, two adults and two juveniles. "Yeah," I said to myself, "they've dumped another load of salmon carcases." Noble bird, my eye! These iconic birds are nothing more than glorified pigeons, scavenging whatever scraps they can get: dead salmon after spawning season, elk remains, garbage from the local landfill. I see them perched by the dozen in the trees alongside the dump almost every time I go to town. The clever crows or ravens can easily get the better of members of this rather dull species, one bird distracting the eagle while another steals its prize. The eagles don't seem to understand the concept of teamwork and cooperation, and if the metaphor of their gullibility and affinity for garbage was ever more fitting than now, I couldn't say when.

No comments:

Post a Comment