Monday, February 5, 2018

Captured At Last!



Day 115: Today marks the accomplishment of a goal it has taken me DECADES to achieve: I have finally gotten a "field-guide" shot of a Black-Capped Chickadee! Everybody else in the world has chickadees which feed out of their hands. Any I have encountered were more elusive than warblers! Dee-dee (just one!) has been coming to my feeders for at least a month now, gradually gaining the confidence to stay in the contorted filbert when I've gone out to add new seed. Sometimes, he'd let me walk past on my way to the mailbox, letting me know that he was there with a "dee-dee-dee" call. I'd speak to him as a way of assuring him that I wasn't a predator: "Oh, hi, Dee-dee! Did you see the peanut-butter suet I put out for you?" When I first saw him today, he was face-on toward me with a twig in the way of his lower body, but he allowed me to edge around until I was within ten feet of his perch, although he didn't voice his call as I got closer. I'd say we've come to an understanding, and I do hope he spreads the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment