Monday, February 12, 2018

Joppa Flats Hat 40


Day 122: This marks the 40th hat I have created for Mass Audubon's Joppa Flats Education Center. I haven't posted many of the rest because...well, because my readers have seen the basic styles (stocking cap, ladybug and bee), but this one is something special. It is the first full piece I've made in the "woven knitting" style where no float longer than two stitches is carried on the reverse of the work. I practiced with a swatch until I could manage fairly even tension with two strands held in my left hand, Continental-style. Being Fair Isle, the work needed minor blocking, something you don't really worry about when you're knitting k2, p2 rib. I could still use more practice in managing the strands, but overall, I'm pleased with the way it turned out. I completed the Fair Isle section on a second hat this morning. Joppa box number 3 will be on its way as soon as hats 41 and 42 are in it, and then I can get to a pair of socks to fill a paying order. Gotta sell something every now and then so I can feed my yarn habit!

No comments:

Post a Comment