Wednesday, March 14, 2018

And Kidneys To Top It Off



Day 152: I'm not sure where to start relating today's events, so I think I'll begin with the photo. Ever since finding Fringed Kidney lichen following a windstorm several years ago, I've haunted the same spot, hoping that another specimen would have dropped from the upper canopy. I've been disappointed until today when I found one very small grouping. The largest of the apothecia wouldn't cover my thumbnail and the foliose portions are rather browned from harsh weather, but this is Nephroma helveticum, and now I think I know which tree it occupies. No, I am not thinking about climbing it.

When I arrived home from work, I had a surprise in my mailbox. Joe and Sharon, my partners in Team Biota, are hoping to light a fire under me with respect to dragonfly identification. To that end, they sent me James Walker's "Common Dragonflies and Damselflies of the Pacific Coast - A Life Size Field Guide." I have collected a few images of these insects over the years, but have not been able to identify more than a few. This book will definitely improve my skills.

However, the biggest event of the day left me speechless and very near to tears. For some time, I have wished I could afford to attend the lichen portions of the Northwest Scientific Association's annual conference, but I simply couldn't budget it. Today as I sat at my office computer crunching volunteer applications and answering Park emails, I recognized Arnie's voice at the door. He came into the office and leaned against a cluttered bookcase. "I have a question for you," he said. Expecting it to be something botanical and wondering how he thought I'd be any help if he didn't know, I said, "Yeah? What?" Without preamble asked, "How interested are you in the Northwest Scientific Association's lichen conference?" I told him I'd love to go, but that it wasn't within my means. "What would you say if I said I'd send you to it?" he replied.

For a second, I was speechless. Then I said, "Surely there's somebody else who would benefit more from your budget than me!" He said, "You let me decide that." After some flabbergasted sputtering on my end, he continued, "Would you want to attend all four days or just pick a topic which interests you?" We dragged up the conference program and I determined that there was really only one day I thought would provide information I thought I could use in the Park. We discussed the options, but I was insistent. One day was sufficient. I completed the registration and he took care of the fine points (i.e., payment), and when he stood up from the desk, I couldn't help myself. I threw my arms around him in a bear hug, trying to keep the tears from running down my face. And then, after I finished my office work with as few corrections as I could manage through my excitement, I went out walking in the snow and found the Kidneys.

It's been a long time since I had a day like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment