Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Hunting Season


Day 165: It's hunting season, and my weapons of choice are in my rig, ready to be put to use as soon as I spot the prey. A small shovel, a trowel, a pair of pruning shears and various sizes of plastic bags are tucked in the trunk of the car, and my eye is trained to spot trophy material even when I'm travelling at the speed limit. To that end, I laid siege to a flowering quince bush in a vacant lot this morning, and came home with ten cuttings, none of which had visible roots. I stuck five of them in flower pots which will be sunk in the garden for a year in the hopes of rooting them, and five were simply placed in a jar of water which will sit on a windowsill. Most plants which sucker as readily as flowering quince can be propagated either way. I'm still hoping to be able to get a slip with roots, but today wasn't the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment