Thursday, March 29, 2018

In The Lichen Lab


Day 167: Maybe not the best picture in the world (it was shot as ISO 1600), but it commemorates a very productive and enjoyable day at the Northwest Scientific Association conference's lichen sessions. We spent half the day in the lab testing and identifying specimens, and I am happy to report that I have confirmed the presence of Mycoblastus affinis in the Park, as well as Pertusaria borealis. I learned to mix several reagents used to test for lichen substances, and was able to purchase small quantities for my own little kitchen laboratory. Tomorrow, we will be splitting into two groups for field trips, one to a wetland ecology and one to an evergreen habitat. I will be attending the latter. I also got to meet some of my lichen heroes today, notably Bruce McCune (the darker haired man in the rust-coloured shirt on the right) and Katherine Glew, with whom I've exchanged many emails over the last several years. I have to admit that I glowed with pride when I overheard Katherine compliment me to another participant. My Park colleague Sue also attended the seminar, and evil creature that I am, I had to acquaint her with another Pertusaria species. Maybe it was a little early for April Fool's; one of the diagnostic features of P. amara is its bitter, lingering taste. I scooped a fingernailful from a tree and surreptitiously discarded most of it before placing a tiny, tiny fragment on the tip of my tongue. I knew what to expect. Sue did not, and took a somewhat larger sample. Even so, we both spent the rest of the day puckered by Pertusaria, although I'm sure Sue regretted the experience more than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment