Thursday, March 22, 2018

Newest Member Of The Family


Day 160: Meet the newest member of the family: Hardy Kiwi "Issai." I had the pleasure of sampling these grape-sized, fuzzless fruits last autumn at a farmers' market on the Olympic Peninsula. The variety is self-fertile and is hardy to an astonishing thirty degrees below freezing! The grower assured me that once established, the vine is trouble-free and produces prolifically in just a few years. Since I seem to be having good success with fruits, I decided to give it a try. Kiwi is a vigorous vine, so I also purchased a wrought-iron trellis with a swinging gate. I'll have to do some reorganization of the current garden's layout in order to have the gate where I want it, but that's part of the fun of gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment