Saturday, March 10, 2018

No Parking


Day 148: You know what they say about "best laid plans." Well, I arrived at Pack Forest at 10 AM while the frost was still on the lichens, and was shocked to find that trailhead parking was full! I have never seen Pack's parking maxed out before, not even on a nice summer weekend. My first thought was profane and concluded with, "Well, now what am I gonna do?" My next thought was, "Damn, I don't want to be stepping on peoples' toes on the trail. Maybe now is the time to explore that side trail nobody ever takes off Bud Blancher." Yeah, I'd probably have to shoulder people out of the way for the first two miles, but then I should be able to find a little solitude. Not much of a Plan, but it was better than turning around and going home in a huff.

I had no idea where that side trail might emerge onto a recognizable route, but there isn't much of Pack I haven't explored. After I'd gone half a mile through forest, I came to a grassed-over spur road. I had a feeling I knew which one it was, and sure enough, in another half mile, I stepped out onto the familiar North 1000. I'd already managed to find some invasives and had marked them with the GPSr, intending to file a report when I got home, so I thought I'd continue on a little ways. I should know me better...a "little ways" meant taking the Wildlife Trail and the Reservoir Trail to emerge at Kirkland Pass and then...well, I was almost there already...another mile to where the Snow Queens grow. My hike (originally intended to be eight miles) manifested as eleven miles in the end result. Yes, I found more invasives, and yes, I found the Snow Queens. I was quite pleased with the way the day had turned out, especially since I only really saw PEOPLE while I was on the 1000 Road.

I got home, drew the coordinates from the GPSr in preparation for writing an invasive-plant report. I turned on the computer, and was surprised to find in my email a letter from the very people who would be receiving said report. To my great delight, the letter informed me that I had again been chosen to receive the Sarah Reichard Hike the Extra Mile Award for 2017! The award includes a $50 gift certificate from REI. Now I am really a happy camper!

No comments:

Post a Comment