Thursday, March 1, 2018

Rob's Wellington Cap


Day 139: Thanks to a friend with a 3D printer, I was able to fill a request from Rob (a friend in New Zealand) to "make me one of them flash beenies in Wellington colours, please." Seamus printed up 32 intarsia bobbins in assorted colours using an internet image for the basis of his design. They work perfectly! I prefer using bobbins to making yarn "butterflies" because when you're working more than a couple of changes, the strands tangle. Bobbins hold the yarn securely through the untangling process, but butterflies tend to fall apart and frequently need rewinding. Horizontal stripes don't require bobbins or butterflies, but unless the yarn is carried on the back of the work, vertical sections are best worked in intarsia. I experimented with both techniques as well as several ways of effecting decreases before I was satisfied with the pattern for Rob's Wellington cap. Originally, I'd planned the hat to be a Christmas present, but Christmas falls in mid-summer in New Zealand, so I mailed it off to him this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment