Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Repaired On The Fly



Day 173: A moment of utter panic occurred this morning when I went to wind my weaving project onto the cloth beam and couldn't get tension on the warp threads. The gear had seemed a bit loose to me as I was finishing up a table runner a few nights ago, but this morning, it just spun 'round and 'round. With warp for another six-foot runner still on the loom, I had no choice but to remove the bolt from the frame with the beam resting on a stack of books and a box. Much to my dismay, I discovered that the two wood screws holding the gear to the beam had stripped a groove in the wood to their full depth. I was able to effect a repair with longer screws, but having let down my work, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get the tension even when I re-mounted the beam. Fortunately, the Weaving Gods smiled on my efforts and I'm now back in business. Once this project is finished, I'll replace the screws with even longer ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment