Friday, May 18, 2018

Bleeding-Hearts



Day 217: Yes, they're pink, and I doubt that a single one of my readers remains unaware of my distaste for the colour. That said, I can excuse it in nature and yes, in some cases, I even find it to be acceptable in my garden. I don't want it to be the theme, you understand, but when it provides colour in a space where it is much needed, I'll use it. The shady north side of my carport is a case in point. Not much survives there except ferns and the persistent buttercups which are the weeder's bane. The only way I could defeat the Ranuculus invasion was to lay down barrier cloth and top it with a thick layer of bark mulch. Asian Bleeding-heart, Andromeda (bog rosemary), maidenhair and other ferns fill out the space beneath boughs of rampant Wisteria. The arching stems of Bleeding-heart are particularly heavy with bloom this year, pink which despite my general aversion is a welcome sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment