Sunday, May 6, 2018

Confiding


Day 205: Old birding guides will often refer to Chickadees as "confiding." The word in this context doesn't mean that they're telling you their innermost secrets; rather it refers to their confidence around humans. My little Black-capped friend is becoming more confiding as he/she makes the connection between my activity and food replenishment. In fact, when the feeder ran dry in the evening, Dee-dee perched on the shepherd's-hooks directly outside the living room window and gave me the pointed eye. Obedient as always, I responded by delivering another cupful of small seed mixed with nyger, just enough for a bedtime top-off. I have not seen more than one 'dee in the tree, but I keep hoping that the confidence of one will draw others.

No comments:

Post a Comment