Monday, May 21, 2018

Cool Hues



Day 220: It's taken close to 30 years, but I think I have finally achieved a sufficiently cool-hued garden to meet my esthetic requirements. The theme has been somewhat more challenging than I expected to maintain throughout the season, and I'll admit that toward the end of summer, it shades into reds and yellows. That said, at least I've phased out most of the pink (or relocated it). The most dramatic change has been in the columbines. Now blues and purples dominate where once only one pale yellow broke up a wash of pink. The colour change hasn't affected the hummingbirds' interest in the nectar-rich blossoms. In fact, hummers are drawn to blue with the same passion they exhibit for red, and they love the delphiniums which are just now setting buds. There's more blue to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment