Saturday, May 12, 2018

Oh, My Darling Columbine



Day 211: Whenever possible, I tag my plants with their varietal names, and of course this helps when I'm plant-shopping for something new. I'm not totally OCD about it, though, and therefore three of these go in the class of "unknowns." Top left is "Spring Magic," a shorter, larger-flowered variation of the typical wild columbine seen in the Rocky Mountains and surrounding areas. Center top is "Black Barlow," a fully double tall variety. Top right and lower left are unidentified, both tall. Middle bottom is "Winky," an enchanting double dwarf with an upright flower form. Odd man out (lower right) is the pink and yellow variety which came with the house. I've eliminated most of them, but decided to keep a few for reasons of nostalgia. I have one other pale double pink which isn't showing signs of buds as yet. The hummingbirds aren't picky. They love them all, but for me, blues are best, and obviously, they're far from boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment