Monday, May 14, 2018

Weedy Accents


Day 213: There is no particular "structure" to my garden. If there's a hole, I fill it with something. Between the house and garage is a space I refer to as the Barren Wasteland. A lot of things I couldn't bear to throw out have landed there for want of a better home. It also benefits from those free wildflower packets which invariably come in the mail, and although a few of the species designated for PNW planting are actually rather invasive (California poppies, for one), occasionally there's a diamond in the dust. My fence line is another problem area. The driveway to my neighbour's house has been so built up with gravel over the years that the cedar posts are in a trench, a fact which makes the lower rails very difficult to mow under. I'm always on the lookout for anything bushy I can put there, with a mind to eventually doing away with the fence altogether.

Kerria japonica (left) is a woody shrub which can get rather sprangly over time. Some years ago, I nicked a slip from a roadside bush, thinking it would be good filler. It hasn't really taken off yet, but at least it provides some colour and visual interest with its orange pompoms. The Wallflower (Erysimum, syn. Cheiranthus, right) came in a wildflower packet and I keep hoping it will multiply. It has a wonderful perfume, strongest in early evening, which is evident some days even though there's only one plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment