Saturday, June 16, 2018

Unenviable First Record


Day 246: Here you see the first recorded instance of a species within the confines of Mount Rainier National Park, and I am NOT happy about finding it. This is common Teasel (Dipsacum fullonum), a nasty invasive. Immediately after I took the photo, I wrapped my hand around its scrawny neck and pulled it up by the root. It was one of two specimens of invasives I left on Arnie's desk Monday afternoon, although at the time I didn't know it would be a new record. Given its location, it will be easy for me to monitor the site during my lunch break. I'd have preferred finding Corallorhiza striata or a new lichen as my claim to fame in 2018, not something which inspired instantaneous vegicidal instincts. Still, the season is young. There's hope yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment