Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Llast Of The Llama



Day 284: The estimable Ogden Nash tells us
The one-l lama,
He's a priest.
The two-l llama,
He's a beast.
And I will bet a silk pajama 
There isn't any three-l lllama.

It's amazing how few people realize that the "three-l lllama" refers to a fire alarm..."three-alarmer"...but then, there is a large section of society which can't get two- and three-letter words right ("to" and "too," and gods forbid that they should have to rise to the challenge of "their," "there" and "they're").

Mr. Nash aside, I am done with my two-l llama. Even as I write, the third skein is hanging, weighted with a couple of bottles of water to stretch and set the twist. It's been a long time in the making, owing to the fact that a simple plastic part failed on my wheel, a part for which it took several years to find a supplier and longer for it to be stocked for sale. It was a five-minute fix once I had it in hand, slightly longer to find where I'd stashed the remaining wool, less than a week to finish up 503 yards (roughly 8 ounces) of soft, silky sportweight double-ply yarn.

Now I find myself in limbo between projects. The llama is off the wheel, the weaving is off the loom. More wool is due to arrive this weekend (a lovely grey Gotland from Swedish sheep), and four more cones of 8/2 cotton will be here before the end of the month, but for now, I need to find a way to keep my hands busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment