Thursday, July 26, 2018

Moocher



Day 286: I'm not convinced I have the right scientific name to attach to this critter, but I think it's Tamias townsendii. You can infer what you like with respect to the common name; I'm going with "moocher." The little stinker repeatedly tried to brave his way along the log to see what I was having for lunch at the south end of Packwood Lake, but as soon as I'd shift position or the light would glint on the camera lens, he was off like a shot. Admittedly, what I carry for trail lunch probably wouldn't do him any harm, but I'm conditioned to avoid feeding the wildlife, and it does upset me when I see people offering critters things which humans really shouldn't eat either. You know M&Ms aren't good for you, and those salty chips are going to put your blood pressure out through the roof, to say nothing of the nasty artery-clogging fat they were fried in. What makes you think you're doing wildlife a favour by passing your bad health habits along? Moocher got the lecture instead of food, not that it'll stop him from hitting up the next hiker.

No comments:

Post a Comment