Monday, August 27, 2018

Better Late Than Never


Day 318: The Great Bambi War of 2018 has begun. I failed to take preventative steps as soon as I noticed cropped sunflowers and consequently, when I got up this morning, I discovered that the proverbial "low-hanging fruit" on the raspberry vines had been munched by the two culprits I've seen in the yard recently. They recognize me as a threat, so as soon as I step outside with my slingshot, they bound out of range, returning to raid under cover of darkness. A short fence has kept them off the tomatoes, but the raspberries grew tall this year, well beyond the chickenwire cap over the row. I may need to put in taller posts next year, but for now, I've laid window screens up against the vines, propped in place by tomato cages. If nothing else, Bambi is going to get his legs tangled if he tries to pull down the berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment