Sunday, August 12, 2018

First Burroughs Fog


Day 303: Yesterday's volunteer appreciation picnic at Sunrise was one of the wettest and windiest I've attended. That didn't stop me from going for a hike. In fact, I found it quite refreshing after more than two weeks of 90-degree temperatures. Thanks to the cool weather, I reached Frozen Lake in a mere twenty minutes, and then after some deliberation over which direction to take, I headed up First Burroughs in fog. It rained a bit (something I devoutly hoped was happening at home as well), giving me a chance to test out the new jacket I'd bought with a gift-card award from the Invasive Plant Council and a pair of Arnie's hand-me-down rain pants, and I'm happy to say that both served me well. As I approached the top of First Burroughs, a bright spot appeared in the northwest and the clouds gave way just enough that I could see Frozen Lake 600' below and a few patches of blue sky. It was the clearest moment of the day. For a Saturday, the trails were relatively free of other hikers, and those who were out went by me with heads down and grim expressions on their faces. You have to be a native Pacific Northwesterner to appreciate the joys of hiking in inclement weather, and if that's what it takes to have some solitude in the backcountry, I am willing to endure anything except a typhoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment