Thursday, August 2, 2018

Love-in-a-Mist



Day 293: My poor garden is getting heat-stressed. Although today is a bit cooler, the last two weeks' temperatures have hovered between 85-95 degrees and despite being watered, even the most drought-hardy plants are feeling the effects of the dry spell. I recorded a pitiful 0.20" of precip for the month of July. Because I rely on a well for household water, I try to plant drought-tolerant species so that I can be sparing with the hose. Fortunately, Nigella (Love-in-a-Mist) has endured practically anything Nature has thrown at it, re-seeding itself to provide flowers again next year. The pods turn a warm brown when dried, retaining the reddish-purple markings. They're lovely for dried arrangements or...oh, yeah, last year's are still hanging from the lantern chandelier in the east end of my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment