Friday, August 24, 2018

More Than One!


Day 315: There is cause for great jubilation here today. The Black-Capped Chickadee has found himself a friend! I can't tell if there are more than two, but I have positively observed a second one which stayed sitting in the Japanese maple as the first one flew across my line of vision and perched on Harry Lauder. This year marked the first in thirty that they have come across the road to my yard. One appeared at the feeders for the first time in January of this year, and over the intervening months, he (or she) has become more confident around me, allowing me to walk within 6-10 feet before flying away. He's not much inclined to hold still long enough for me to focus the camera, but I managed to get a few passable snaps this morning. I suspect that their 50-yard migration is a direct reflection of the maturity of the shrubbery; they've finally decided there's enough habitat to set up housekeeping. A landmark day indeed! Chick-a-dee-dee-dee!

No comments:

Post a Comment