Friday, August 17, 2018

Using A Nuke To Kill A Spider



Day 308: Fresh off the loom, three 40" lengths of cloth are destined to be shoulder-bags. Both warp and weft are standard knitting worsted and when sewn up, will make bags roughly 11 inches square. Each one will be lined with heavy twill and will have a button-down flap, perfect for a knitting tote or even for Morris bells and hankies. Weaving them went even more quickly than I'd imagined, and now I'm tasked with creating the straps. It would be much easier if I had a small rigid heddle loom or even a 10 dent-per-inch reed to use with a backstrap, but as we all know, this is not a perfect world. No, instead I've warped up 17 ends to make a strap 1.5" wide on my four-foot floor loom. This is what I call "using a nuke to kill a spider." It gets the job done, but constitutes a classic example of employing way too much resource to effect a solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment