Sunday, September 16, 2018

Drop Of Golden Sun


Day 338: They say hindsight is clearer than foresight. In other words, "Why didn't I think of this last year?" As I was eating dinner a few nights ago (Hamburger Helper Beef Pasta), it seemed rather more bland than usual and I thought, "Needs some tomato sauce or something to tangy it up. Wish I had some sun-dried tomatoes." Still not up to speed and too lazy to get up for the Worcestershire sauce, I gulped down the food with my usual "I don't care what I eat as long as I get it over with quick" attitude and then went back to my projects. Then, while working at the Park's booth at the Washington State Fair, a visitor engaged me in a lengthy conversation which somehow circulated around to preserving Nature's bounty for winter consumption. She mentioned dehydrating, and a cartoon lightbulb, fully illuminated, appeared over my head. "Oh, brilliant!" I shouted, startling her. "Now I know what to do with my surfeit of tomatoes!" Since I'd just given Kevin a bagful, I had to wait a couple of days before more Sungolds were ready to pick. I sliced them at roughly 1/4" thick, put them in the dehydrator overnight at 115 degrees (the temp suggested by the visitor). They weren't quite dry by morning, but another two hours did the trick. Now if I can just stop eating them like potato chips, I might have a few to perk up those bland winter meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment