Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Discovering Manke Mountain


Day 3: The theme for today was set by an email from one of my contacts at the Nisqually Land Trust. Based on signage at a particular location, I had stopped by the office to report an issue with invasives and discovered that the property where I had found them is now part of the new Nisqually State Park. While that makes my reporting job easier, the issue of the boundary signs needed to be resolved. To that end, I made a preliminary run to waypoint all the existing signs for later removal by someone else, a person who will need to be at least a foot taller than I am. Although I had a seven-mile route planned out, I decided to explore a side trail just to see where it went. In a small clearing, I found a hand-routed sign, "Manke Mt." I'm not sure who Mankes were, but the family must have been fairly large; they have a road named after them in a different county. According to my USGS map, however, this is not the true summit of 908' Manke Mt. That lies slightly further east, and an abandoned road goes directly across it. Still, the sign was a fun find. I finished up my hike with a total of 23 signs which will need to be removed, and "Manke Mt." is definitely not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment