Saturday, November 3, 2018

Totally Tubular Transplant


Day 21: Tube lichens are among my favourites. Why "tube?" The lobes of Hypogymnias are like little balloons, inflated, generally black on the bottom and pale green on top. One of the steps in differentiating them is to peel the two surfaces apart in order to examine the underside of the top layer (the medullary ceiling). Its colour can be helpful in distinguishing species. According to Bruce McCune, "Students of Hypogymnia are frequently seen popping open lobes to check for the white interiors of H. imshaugii versus H. inactiva" (the specimen in the photograph above). It is one of the most common Hypogymnias in the Pacific Northwest. Occasionally when I'm out hiking in an area where collection is allowed, a forlorn, fallen clump of lichen will follow me home like a stray kitten to be transplanted to a suitable substrate in my yard. I hope H. inactiva likes old cedar fencing.

No comments:

Post a Comment