Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Wishful Thinking


Day 31: Since I started weaving over forty years ago, many of my favourite suppliers have closed shop for one reason or another, and I find myself longing for the variety of threads they carried. I don't recall if I bought this cotton bouclé weft at Robin & Russ (McMinnville OR) or the Weaving Works (Seattle WA), but that's neither here nor there. It is a delightful thread, but to the best of my knowledge, unavailable today. I've used pounds of it in the past in various colours, and the only shades I have left are this lavender/aqua/white and a brilliant solid yellow, only enough for a few hand towels each. The tendency when the supply runs low (regardless of the item) is to hoard the material and, like that last jar of artichoke hearts in my kitchen cupboard, I have to reproach myself into using it with a favourite phrase, "Stop archiving stuff!" I won't have enough to complete the four towels planned, so the last one will use the same thread as the warp. Nice thing about weaving: sometimes it's easy to change horses in mid-stream, but I sure will miss this soft, kinky thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment