Monday, December 3, 2018

A New Yew


Day 51: I've long since given up any hope of finding a new me, so I'll settle for having several new yews instead. In point of fact, the European yew hedge running along the front of my property has two notable inadequacies. The first is that of roughly two dozen individual shrubs, only one is female. The other is that the hedge stops short of the edge of the property by at least another dozen plants. A few years ago, I found a "volunteer" sprout about ten feet away from the orderly row; I transplanted it, and now it's about a foot tall. Obviously, it'll be a few years before I have to worry about trimming it with the rest of the hedge, but at least it's a start on filling in the gap. That said, yesterday I discovered five more volunteers beneath Big Doug. I'll lift them in the spring for relocation to the hedgerow. As in needlework, the most valuable asset a gardener can cultivate is patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment