Sunday, December 23, 2018

Holiday Hardanger


Day 71: Years ago, I happened to connect with an elderly woman who was running a Scandinavian gift shop out of her home. She was also an expert needlewoman and stocked the fabrics and patterns for Norwegian Hardanger embroidery. After several visits and after I had shown her some of my work, she asked me if I would be interested in making pieces which she could display in her shop. She offered me supplies and patterns in exchange for allowing her to use the finished needlework for six months to encourage further sales of books and patterns. Then the finished pieces would be returned to me. I agreed, and over the course of the next several years, I must have stitched at least a hundred designs, most of which I have since given away. At Gloria's insistence, I entered my original work in a national Hardanger contest and twice took honourable mention, a distinction which came with a cash prize and publication of my designs in the promoter's annual pattern book. This holiday piece is not original, but it was one of my favourites from the many I stitched, and I bring it out for display every Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment