Monday, December 10, 2018

Same Tree, Different Bird


Day 58: One of the most colourful birds to visit my yard, Steller's Jay (Cyanocitta stelleri) is also one of the most common and certainly the most consistent. Year-'round, their population remains more or less constant, unlike the juncoes who, although also a year-'round species, experience rises and falls in their census. By mass and duration, the jay population may even occupy a larger amount of air space than the crows who generally only come for breakfast. Many people dislike jays, claiming that they bully smaller birds; such is not my experience with them in any of the locales where I have had them as guests. There is little reason for competition at my feeders at any time except when the Grosbeaks arrive to consume black-oil seed in copious amounts. The jays take a respectful back seat to them, knowing that I'll put out more seed as soon as I notice the feeders are empty. Like all members of the Corvidae, Steller's jays are smart, and mine certainly realize they've discovered an almost limitless supply of food in my yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment