Sunday, December 30, 2018

Towels In The Raw


Day 78: Nothing inspires me to work more than a new project waiting in the wings. I've mentioned before that I set a rule for myself years ago that I could have only one of any particular type of project going at one time. There is some latitude in that; for example, I can have a piece of weaving on the floor loom and one on the rigid heddle because the physical process of weaving affects different portions of my anatomy...rigid heddle weaving is hard on my deteriorating shoulder and I can't work at it for any significant length of time. A few days ago, I decided that I wanted to make some wider scarves than the rigid heddle loom would allow, but in order to start, I first needed to finish up the cotton towels on the floor loom. I had three done and a fourth barely started, and just enough of the bouclé to finish up #4. The shortage of material was what had slowed me down; I batted ideas for #5 around in my head without coming to a satisfactory conclusion. Now feeling the push, I chose to go with the natural cotton (#5 is visible in the upper right). I set a goal of six inches per session at the loom, putting in up to three sessions a day. Bingo! In short order, the weaving was done. Now I'll warp for the new project and while I'm taking breaks from it, I'll twist the fringe on the towel ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment